Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes is 20 minute healthy pasta dinner that is summertime must have!
Zucchini and bursting baby tomatoes create a delicious sauce combined with fresh garlic and basil. Then coat each piece of al dente pasta sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Summer Pasta with Zucchini
This pasta with zucchini is nothing short of amazingness. I couldn’t stop eating it. Shocking, I know, because nobody likes pasta. Also give my inner Ukrainian all the garlic!
I got the idea for pasta with zucchini and tomatoes from my zucchini bake. I kept pasta amount low just enough to make the dish filling.
I swear this zucchini and pasta is so good, I could eat it all week long. It keeps your kitchen cool and uses an abundance of produce in season. I always seem to have more than I need on hand.
- Basil and garlic
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
9 ingredients and 20 minutes. That’s it!
How to Make Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes
I will share with you my multitasking method of cooking 20 minute dinners.
Tip: Make sure you use large deep skillet before you begin.
1. Chop Vegetables
I start with chopping all the veggies. All zucchini come in different sizes. Just chop it in universal bite size pieces.
2. Cook Veggies and Pasta at Same Time
Then I boil water for pasta and start cooking vegetables at same time. This way, by the time pasta is ready, zucchini and tomatoes are ready as well.
Cooking zucchini fast on medium-high heat keeps them firm.
Cherry or grape tomatoes are the best for this dish because they hold their shape better than full-grown tomatoes without making zucchini tomato pasta mushy. Cutting them in halves ensures the juices’ release making a base for the sauce.
What Pasta Can I Use?
Use short pasta like fusilli, penne or rigatoni. Whole wheat, brown rice or any other gluten free pasta contains more fiber and nutrients. Keep in mind it doesn’t hold its shape as well as white semolina pasta. So watch it closely and do not overcook.
Chewy al dente pasta is half of the success to a tasty pasta with zucchini and tomatoes. I add al dente pasta directly from the pot to the skillet without draining. I find once pasta is drained, it starts drying out and sticking together.
3. Add Fresh Garlic and Basil at the End
And then I season it all at once with salt, pepper, herbs and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I like my garlic minced vs. grated for this dish. Basil or fresh parsley. These flavors make pasta dish the bomb dot com. Add fresh at the end. Don’t cook them.
Somehow only olive oil seems suitable to me here. Probably because this pasta is kind of Mediterranean and extra virgin olive oil with deep sweeter flavour fits right in.
How to Store Pasta
Any pasta tastes best fresh. If you happen to have leftovers of pasta with zucchini, transfer to a glass container with a lid and refrigerate for up to 1 day. I find plastic transfers its taste to food.
And I wouldn’t go past 2 day. Pasta becomes too soggy as vegetables contain a lot of water. Recipe can be cut in half if needed.
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes to Try
Still have lots zucchini to use up? Here you go:
- Crustless zucchini quiche
- Chicken zucchini casserole
- Parmesan zucchini sticks
- Zucchini lasagna
- If you are a fan of zucchini, check out my collection of 30 healthy zucchini recipes.
Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes
Pasta with zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and basil is 20 minute healthy dinner that is a summertime must have.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 large servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
- 7 oz short whole wheat pasta like penne, fusilli or farfalle
- 2 lbs zucchini, chopped in bite size pieces
- 1 lb grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup parsley or 1/2 cup basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta as per package instructions undercooking by 2-3 minutes or until pasta is al dente, cooked but firm.
- While pasta is cooking, preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and swirl 1 tbsp of oil to coat. Add zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to the stove and swirl 1 tbsp of oil to coat, add tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring a few times.
- Turn off heat and add cooked pasta and zucchini, remaining 1 tbsp of oil, salt, pepper, cheese and parsley or basil; stir and serve. Adjust any seasonings to taste and enjoy this 20 minute amazingness!
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.