I have a feeling you are having feelings about this Portobello Mushroom Burger.
Portobello mushrooms that are…
- soaked in a quick but high-impact balsamic-soy marinade (a riff on my tried-and-true Grilled Portobello Mushrooms)
- double stacked and stuffed with havarti cheese
- slathered in pesto (and more cheese)
- piled inside a fluffy brioche bun, and
- topped with grilled onions and tomatoes
…tend to elicit one of two reactions.
Reaction One: GIMME.
Reaction Two: Why are we calling a portobello mushroom a burger again?
Whichever camp you fall in—I grew up in the (meat) burger-loving Midwest, so even though I fall solidly in the Reaction One group, I can hear Reaction Two’s concerns—try this Portobello Mushroom Burger recipe anyway.
Even without meat, this Portobello Mushroom Burger is savory, satisfying, and good and messy, the way a proper burger should be.
The pesto makes the burgers fresh, unique, and bright, the prep and cleanup are a breeze, and it’s healthy without tasting overly so.