Easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes with simple spices, soft inside and crispy outside. Sweet potatoes are perfect as a side dish, in a wrap or salad during fall winter months.
Roasted sweet potatoes appear on our menu as soon as local summer produce is done.
Our children are not fans of sweet potato, so between me and Alex we share this entire recipe in one sitting. These roasted sweet potatoes cubes melt in your mouth and satisfy a serious savory craving in a healthy way.
Oven roasting is the easiest way to reap the most health benefits from magical sweet potato. Let’ do it!
Ingredients You Will Need
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- Avocado or olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
In my opinion, what makes this roasted sweet potatoes recipe extra special is smoked paprika. You can use regular but smoky sweet potatoes are to die for!
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
- Peel or not? Skin contains a lot of nutrients and vitamins. I buy organic sweet potatoes, rinse and do not peel. You can peel, if you wish.
- Cube into 1/2 inch pieces. It is hard to get uniform 1/2 inch pieces when cutting long potato. Don’t worry, just try your best. Small chunks caramelize and burn a little bit on the edges. And who doesn’t love that?!
- Drizzle with oil and season. I just drizzle oil evenly over 2 baking sheets. Then sprinkle smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper evenly. I like to use a flat spatula for tossing sweet potatoes.
- Spread in a single layer. After tossing, you want to spread potatoes evenly all around both baking sheets. This will help to get the more crispy outside.
- Bake at 420 F for 30 mins. Place both sheets on top and bottom racks. If your oven can fit both on the bottom rack – great. Toss once after 15 minutes.
Tips for Best Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Use 2 baking sheets. Do not be tempted to overcrowd 1 baking sheet. Your potatoes will steam rather than roast. I use 2 of these half sheets.
- Double smoked paprika for a very prominent smoky taste.
- When buying sweet potatoes, look for firm ones without soft spots.
- Organic sweet potatoes in bulk bags of 4-5 lbs are more affordable than conventional potatoes sold individually.
What to Serve Sweet Potatoes With
Make a vegetarian wrap with roasted sweet potatoes, greens, cucumber and hummus.
Enjoy and be healthy!
More Healthy Sweet Potato RecipesPrint
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes with simple spices, soft inside and crispy outside. Perfect as a side dish, in a wrap or salad during fall winter months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 aluminum baking half sheets with unbleached parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Divide potatoes evenly between 2 sheets. Do not overcrowd 1 baking sheet as potatoes will steam.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon or spatula, toss potatoes to coat and spread in a single layer evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes on both racks, stirring once at half time mark.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Do not freeze.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.